Check out these top freelancing tips for beginners that will help you kick start your journey. I have received several emails from my contacts asking me how to start freelancing. This article is inspired by such emails.
Freelancing can be done either part time or full time. It depends on how much time you are willing to spare per day to work on the jobs that you take up. For a complete beginner it may be overwhelming since you may not know where to start and how to start. This article will guide you through all the steps you need to take in order to be successful.
Before you start reading, close your eyes, take a deep breath, free your mind and yes, let’s start now.
Freelancing is the easiest way to make money online – real money! The money that comes from your expertise and skills. It is not like investing in stocks or binary options. If you have any idea of making money through stocks or binary options then please stop because you are never going to make money. You will only end up losing money. Through my experience I have compiled great freelancing tips for beginners, so dig in!
What is Freelancing?
Freelancing means you are self employed and so are not bound by any employer. It is freedom of doing a job the way you do. It is freedom. You set your own hours of work and you set your own deadlines. You have full freedom to choose whether or not you want to do a job. If you love the idea of working for yourself then freelancing is the right choice.
Can you make money with freelancing?
Yes, you can make good money with freelancing. It also depends upon your skill levels and experience in those skills.
What are some of the Freelancing Jobs available?
There are many jobs e.g Logo designs, website design, web development, content writing or article writing, digital marketing, programming, apps creation, software development, photography, videos and the list goes on.
What are some sites that I can start right away?
There are many sites you can start e.g. Freelancer, 99Designs etc. You have to choose according to your skills. If you specialize in designs or logo then 99Designs will be the right fit for you.
How much can I earn doing freelancing jobs?
It is entirely left up to you. Let us assume you are opting for freelance writing jobs. As a beginner your price will be about $8 to $10 for 700 words. If you are able to do 1 article within 2 hours then per day you may do 4 to 5 articles. Do the math. It depends on how much you charge for your services.
The higher the skill, the better you can charge. I know of freelancers who charge $400-$600 per service e.g. SEO services, professional websites etc.
The top 10 Freelancing Tips for Beginners
As a beginner, how should I start or where should I start?
Follow these freelancing tips for beginners and you are good to go:
- First identify your skills – Make a list of what you are good at and what you are expert in. If you are an expert, that makes it even better. Skills like writing, designing a logo, designing a website are always in demand. Choose a skill that will help you make some money. If you are an expert cook, you cannot cook for someone online. But you can write recipes. So your skill here would be writing and your experience would be cooking.
- Choose 2 or 3 Freelancing websites to show case your skill set – Never ever depend on only one website especially when you are a beginner. Have at least 2 and whichever site is making you more money you can start concentrating on that particular site. There are many freelancing websites, you can choose any. I personally suggest that you do not go to a very old website because the competition will be too high and you may not see any results. Also do a research on who pays well without any issues. Usually freelancing websites take 15-20% commission from each of your orders, so price your services keeping this in mind.
- Create an account with each of the freelancing websites – Create an account. I have noticed that some freelancers have more than one account for the same website. That is not a good move since your credibility gets diluted. Just have 1 account per website. Usually the approval process is very simple. Some sites ask for documents like bank statement or address proof, so show them the proof.
- Choose payment method – This is very important. Because this is how you get paid. Get your payment methods ready even before you start. So if you are going to handle clients from US/UK etc. then PayPal is a great choice. If you want to have Indian clients then you cannot use PayPal. The best choice for this is Instamojo. This is a payment gateway for Indian clients. Opening an account with them is simple and easy. The payments are processed very quickly as well. If you wish to open an account with Instamojo please click on this link here – https://imjo.in/SN6zN3
More freelancing tips for beginners…
- Keep your profile ready – Add all your skill sets. If you are good with more than 1 language mention it without fail. Draft an impressive profile, so that when clients see it, they should be impressed and it should make them want to order your services.
- Once you get the approval, add your profile – Usually there is an approval process once you add your profile. Wait for the approval. Do not violate any terms or conditions e.g. you cannot add illegal content, content of hatred, racial discrimination, gambling etc.
- The best part about freelancing websites is that you get the traffic i.e. customers. You do not have to go look for customers; the customers come to the site looking for services. If your profile is impressive, you get the client.
- It is best to start cheap (but be reasonable) and offer something free to entice the client. That way you get repeat orders and more customers.
- Remember that most freelancing websites have an Escrow system, which means the customer’s payment is held by them and once you deliver the services, the payment that is held in Escrow is released. Some take 7 to 14 days to release payment, so be aware of this fact.
- Once you start getting orders, ensure that you always deliver on time or best before time. If client is unhappy, tell the client you would set it right free of cost. An irate customer is never going to come back. But if you solve your customer’s problem he/she will definitely use your services again.
There, I have laid down the top freelancing tips for beginners. If you follow the steps above, you can surely start making money as a freelancer.
The main reason that I scaled up as a freelancer was because I was continuously improving my skills. I was learning a lot since learning will help you think better and do things strategically. I did a few online courses and read a few books on Freelancing. The best book I read so far about Freelancing where I got lot of ideas to scale up was a book called “The Wealthy Freelancer”.
This book was written by Pete Savage and Steve Slaunwhite. I liked this book because it gave me ideas about projects you want, the clients you want, the income you want and the lifestyle you want. It had more than 50 ideas and I have adapted a lot from it. When I bought it, the price was just $3 or something. A truly great eye opener and so cheap too!
If you want to read it you can click the image below. There is also a Kindle version.
If you want to know how to make money selling photos online then click here – selling photos.